Tuesday, May 1, 2012

RIP Fishies

Emma has been BEGGING for a pet!  She really "wants" a puppy (and I say "wants" because she's just like me...likes the IDEA of dogs, but really doesn't like to be up around them or to touch them), but since I can not fathom the idea of having a dog in the house right now and I feel like one in the yard would just get run over at our house, I have resisted her requests.  So I suggested maybe we should get a fish!  Emma was thrilled!  We went to PetSmart last Saturday and got the works...a really cute pink (of course) small aquarium (complete with backdrop, filter, and plant) and 2 glow fish ($7.99 each).  $45 later, we were on our way!  It's been a while since I had fish, so I totally forgot about having to de-chlorinate the tap water for 3-4 days!  We decided that maybe 3 days was extreme, but we would at least let it run over night.  Emma pitched a fit to go ahead and take the fish out of the bag...so she could teach them some tricks! ;)  We were at LoLo's when we set all this up, and since I was going to be out of town this week and Emma was going to stay there, we set up the aquarium there, and TRIED to take the fish home in a bowl...I drove REALLY slow and tried not to take any turns very sharp, but 1 of the fish leaped out (or got thrown out) of the bowl by the time we made it home!  I quickly returned it to its water and it seemed to be doing ok...besides the tendancy to "swim" on its side...  Emma had decided she wanted to put the fish in her room on a small table at the end of her bed.  Well, needless to say, she accidentally kicked the bowl off of the table and both fish went flying in the air and all of their "good" water onto the carpet!!  So the fish ended up going straight into non-de-chlorinated water afterall...and it did not end well!  Nick even set up a big pot in the shop with his areator (or whatever that thing is called) that he uses in his boat live-well to try to revive the fish.  Unfortunately we had to have a proper burial service (aka flush them down the toilet) on Sunday for sweet "Addie" and "Ella" fishies...and I guess we'll be making another trip to PetSmart, since I still have an empty aquarium...but maybe this time we'll go for the 27 cent fishies!!!
Emma with her fishies that lasted a whole 6 hours with the Carroll Crew!!
RIP "Addie" and "Ella"

2 comments:

  1. So sad....but so funny. Typical life with little ones! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so bad saying this, but this is one of the funniest stories I've read in a while! Good one!

    ReplyDelete