Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Madi the "Billy Goat"!

As you know, we found out Madi was allergic to milk proteins when she was like 2 months old.  We tried EVERY kind of formula made, with NO LUCK, until we finally took her to LeBohneur and Dr. Corkins put her on Neocate.  Well, at a year old, we were "supposed" to take her off formula and start whole milk.  The Neocate formula was very expensive, but I was definitely willing to get it for her because we didn't have to deal with the constant screaming/colicky crying, terrible rash all over her trunk, and sneezing/ watery eyes!!  At about 9 months, I started trying the "step-down" approach Dr. Corkins suggested...Alimentum formula for a few months, then regular milk formula for a few months, then milk.  As soon as we tried the Alimentum, she broke out in a rash and started the crying bit.  After she turned a year old, I tried Silk, Almond milk, Rice milk, and Coconut milk...NOTHING suited her!!  Several people had told me that goat milk worked miracles for their babies...I was really nervous about trying it, but they were so right!!!  Madi LOVES it, and even better, it LOVES her!  She is completely clear of any rashes and her eyes don't look "allergery!"  We even got to quit giving her "poo poo" medicine, just to make her go to the bathroom!!  It's kind of funny, because we've always said Madi was a little billy goat because she loves to eat paper and is always chewing on everything!!  I guess she has been trying to tell me for a while that all she needed was goat milk! ;)
Madi actually got this empty milk carton out of the garbage and brought it to me with her cup!

3 comments:

  1. So glad you found something that works for sweet Madi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nat! Me too! It has definitely been difficult finding something she could tolerate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a little billy goat when I was young too! My mom said I was on Goat Milk for a while as an infant. She said it was miracle milk! :)

    ReplyDelete