Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Operation "Sleep in Our Own Beds" is a SUCCESS!!

Even though I am extremely thrilled about Emma FINALLY sleeping in her own bed, I'm also secretly kind of sad!  She is growing up so fast!  I really think if I could, I would pause Emma and Madi's age to stay here forever!  I remember the first night we brought Emma home from the hospital, when it was time to go to bed, I asked Nick, "What do we do now?"  He said "Just put her in the bed with us!"  I said "But we're not supposed to...the books so no!"  He was like, "Well, unless you are going to send her home with whoever wrote the book, put her in the bed so we can all sleep!!"  And she's been right between us ever since!  I have attempted to get her out of our bed several times.  She was sleeping in her crib from about 8 weeks-12 weeks, but then she started teething and waking up all night, and not going back to bed unless I was holding her.  So she went back to bed with us.  Then when she was about a year old, I tried again...But her Daddy kept going to get her (while she was still asleep) when he got ready to go to bed and put her in the bed with us!  He said it was the only time she let him cuddle with her!  As time went on, we have also tried the mattress on the floor in our room and me laying down with her in her bed, but nothing has worked.  I even bought a small flat screen tv with dvd player to go in her room so she could watch a movie while she fell asleep, but as soon as the tv went off, she'd come running to our room!  While I was pregnant with Madi, I fixed up the girls a bedroom and turned Emma's room into the playroom.  Emma said that she would need to sleep in there to take care of little sister!  But, up until now, I haven't really wanted Madi all the way across the house from us.  But now she is 4 months old and has been sleeping all night since she was about 8 weeks, so I thought it may be time to send her to her crib and Emma to her bed!  (It has been Madi, me, Emma, then Nick all in the same bed!  Yes, it is a king, but it is so not big enough! Emma takes up the whole bed!)  So we set a goal with Emma...seems like she has to "gear up" for stuff!  I told her she could start having spend-the-night company and spend-the-night with her friends if she'd start sleeping in her bed.  She said she would when she turned 4.  Well, she doesn't turn 4 until December 11, but we already had her "friend party," so for the last couple of weeks she has been trying to sleep in her room with Madi in her crib.  The first few nights, I would lay down with her until she fell asleep and then sneak out.  After about 30-45 minutes she would wake up and come SCREAMING through the house to our room!  She gets in this weird state where she talks out of her head...I'm not sure if she is dreaming or what!  One night I even found this:


She was trying to bring her blankie with her, but instead tore all the covers off of her bed and knocked over their Christmas tree in the process!!  Bless her!!  BUT  for the last 2 nights (and I may be jinxing it!) she has slept ALL night in her bed!!  I am very proud of her!  It has been the best worst-night's sleep I've ever had!  Best because I don't have Emma's knees in back all night and worst because I keep waking up expecting her to come running in there.  And now, of course, Madi is starting to teeth and so is waking up about 1 am, and I go get her and put her in the bed with us...but at least she starts out in her bed...right??  Probably repeating a mistake!  But I also don't want Madi to feel left out or like we didn't love her because we didn't let her sleep with us!  I know...I'm crazy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment